A history of Poole Regatta
To celebrate the Millennium in 2000, the Combined Yacht Clubs of Poole organised the Poole Keelboat Regatta over the Bank Holiday Weekend at the end of May. More than 50 boats participated in the event, which was sponsored by Wadworth. The Kleinwort Benson Poole Regatta followed in 2002 and from 2006 onwards it has been known as the International Paint Poole Regatta.
The excellent racing both inside the harbour and out in the bay has led to this becoming an established biennial event with between 150 and 200 boats taking part. The range of fleets increases each year, from local XODs, Flying 15s and Shrimpers, to a range of visitors in 2.4s, IRC boats, Fast 40s, J classes, HP30s and others.
Many of the classes taking part hold their area, regional or national championships as part of the event. Four committee boats in the bay and one in the harbour enable the organisers to tailor the racing to the different fleets taking part. A Competitor’s Reception on a boat anchored at the Quay on the evenng before the event sets the scene for the weekend. Once racing is over for the day, competitors are provided with evening social events at Poole and Parkstone Yacht Clubs. A daily prize giving is held and transport to and from the Clubs is provided by boat and minibus. Traditionally, the final prizgiving has been held at The Royal Motor Yacht Club, but in 2018 the newly-opened Parkstone Yacht Club facilities will be used on the Monday afternoon.
Since 2016, the winner is presented with the 1849 Canford Cup which is now permanently on view in Poole Museum.